Elizabethtown Spousal Support Or Alimony Lawyer
When helping individuals, couples and families through divorce, one of the most common questions we hear at Dowan Law Offices is: How much are my alimony payments going to cost me? The simple and straightforward answer we can give is usually: It depends.
Having handled numerous divorces and worked with couples going through a wide variety of different circumstances, we look to educate our clients on the support laws unique to Kentucky as outlined in Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 403.200 and Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 403.160. Instead of sending you home with a stack of legal briefs, we will sit down with you and explain in plain, simple language how the law applies to you.
Clear Advice And Solutions Tailored To Establishing Your Spousal Support Agreement
In Kentucky, as in other states, spousal support is temporary. Although maintenance is not meant to last indefinitely, the span can last anywhere from a brief period while the divorce is being finalized, or until the receiving spouse becomes self-supporting or remarries.
There are numerous factors the courts consider when determining spousal maintenance payments, including:
- The financial resources of each spouse
- The age, physical and psychological health of both parties
- Any past behaviors, or causes of action, that may have resulted in the separation, including adultery or egregious misconduct
- The amount of time or education necessary for a receiving spouse to find and retain appropriate employment
- Contributions made by either party to the career advancement or education of the other
- Earning capacity of both parties
- How property will be divided
- Tax consequences of the divorce
- The guidelines specified by premarital or postmarital agreements
- The standard of living maintained throughout the marriage
- The length of the marriage
As your attorneys, we will explain the implications of paying or receiving spousal maintenance and the methods for making appeals or modifications. Our goal is to ensure that you either pay or receive a fair amount of spousal support.
Lawyers Representing Military And Civilian Families In All Family Law Matters
Whether you live in Elizabethtown or are stationed on or near the base in Fort Knox, we can help you through your divorce. When establishing parenting time agreements, spousal support and child support, we will stand with you to ensure that you are treated fairly.